Monday, February 18, 2008

Driving....

My first blog, a tale of productivity brought on by insomnia.

My sleep cycle has become more erratic in the past few weeks. Started with me waking up a couple hours earlier, to it becoming increasingly difficult to wind down. The worst was when it was 8am and I still wasn't tired. It's almost 4am and I'm just starting to feel tired, things are looking good tonight. There are a lot of things such as finishing unpacking, cleaning and such that I could be doing, but lately I've been doing a lot of reading online, playing halo3, and watching movies.

The more I type, the less interested in writing about that I become, so I'm switching to the story behind the picture.

I started my day at work last Tuesday by rushing out the door and heading to Pixley, CA. We just received a press release about a soldier they were sending us to his house without contacting the family first to even see if they wanted to speak with us. Well they gave us a map, but the printer sucks so the map is hard to read and the directions look like it's missing a page, so we plugged the address into my GPS and we hit the road.
My reporter and I were sent down to the Tulare Ag show the day before, so we were making almost the same trek down south again. After about 55 miles we hit our exit and kept going for about another 10. The farther we drive, the more ag, and less houses there are.
My GPS finally shouts "You've reached your destination." We stop, look around and start laughing. This is where the pictures come in, there was absolutely nothing out there, but dirt roads and ag land.
That's when the portion of the map the we thought was wrong, actually made sense. "portions unpaved" my reporter tells me...more laughter. We call and tell them to cancel the 5 o'clock live shot and no started driving around the area hoping to stumble onto something. We end up finding the house a few minutes later...and so did all the other news agencies, 4 different crews all show up at the same time. After some delicate schmoozing we're told to fuck off and back to Fresno it is...but not before doing a couple live hits in front of the house.
....so with no sound or video we're switched to a wrap up of the freeway pileup that happened earlier in the day.

121 miles Monday
190 miles Tuesday
311 miles in 2 days, and I never left the valley.

No comments: